Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: Urban Decay De-Slick Oil Control Makeup Setting Spray


My face is oily to the point where I have almost given up the hope of a mattified skin and long lasting make up. But my desperate soul keeps looking for products that promise to keep oil away. Urban Decay De-Slick is one of them.

I picked up De Slick when I was dumb-struck in a dilemma whether to repurchase All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray or this one. As I had a fair amount of All Nighter Spray left, and I always wanted to give this one a try, I chose this one. from Sephora, was priced at CA$ 35 at the time I bought.


This makeup setting spray is a collaborated effort with Skindinavia. It claims to be a weightless facial mist that promises a matte look for upto 16hours. This comes in a 118ml or 4 US fl oz bottle and has a lovely fresh scent which I love more than that of MAC Fix+.

Talking about the product, it doesn't have that jaw dropping mattifying properties, specially in the extreme hot humid climatic situation of my country. But it works pretty good for cold dry winter and slightly less hot and less humid autumn, atleast I don't have to blot my face upto solid 7hours under these weather conditions.

The packaging is quite simple and I love the way the mist applies one my face more than that of MAC Fix+. While MAC Fix+ delivers kind of concentrated spray, this one actually has the 'spray-effect' which helps with an even application.


It is recommended that you have to hold it 8-10inches away from your face, and mist it in an X and T formation. I do it the same way, it takes around one minute to dry, and I feel a slight tightening after it dries out. I am comfortable with the tightening and I believe most of the oily skinned people will be comfortable, too.

I am not a huge fan of matte faces, I rather prefer dewy looks, and I don't mind that little bit extra shine my face gets after a while. But that shine is lovable when its not at its extreme, like it is at the climatic situation of my country during summer. So I have come up with my own way to apply this spray to avoid the extreme-shiny face. What I do is, I start with applying De-Slick Spray. Let it dry for some minutes. Apply primer and then spray again and let dry. Apply my foundation, and then spray again. Then do the rest of my make up, and atlast finish off with the All Nighter Makeup setting spray (the spray I-Can't-Live-Without). This way I get a wear of nearly 5hours (in an air conditioned situation), no smudging, no fading, just a little shine on my T Zone and on my cheek bones, thus creating a glowy dewy effect on my face. But out of air conditioned situation, I have to blot my face around two hours, and at the end of the day my face is shiny again :( :/

As I do heavy makeup only for the parties and occasions, and as parties are generally held in air conditioned situation, I will be happily using this product forever. I am happy with the nearly 5hours-stay-put-effect of my foundation without blotting my face every other hour, with this product.

I confess that I love Urban Decay's All Nighter more than I love De-Slick, but I would be repurchasing it over and over again, along with the All Nighter. This is a great product, kind of my HG product for winter and fall!

If you are in a dilemma, try a travel sized first and if it satisfies you, you can go for the full sized one.

Did you use De Slick? How do you find it?

Love and respect,
Eeshita.

4 comments:

  1. hey my skin is so oily..my face sweats a lot with anything on..which one of these 2 u'll recommend me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mean between De-slick and All Nighter? I would recommend All Nighter.

      Delete
  2. heyy..i have a normal skin.which makeup setting spray should I use?also where can I find it in dhaka?please reply asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! dewy setting spray

    ReplyDelete